Kids Dentistry Dubai (Pediatric Dentistry) – “Kids Dentist”
A pediatric dentist is a dentist that takes care of children from infancy through their teen years.
The various treatments that a pediatric dentistry office offer can include:
- Oral health screening for infants
- Prevention Dental care that includes fluoride treatments, cleanings and diet and nutrition information and oral hygiene instructions.
- Counselling for habits such as thumb sucking, pacifier use, etc.
- Repairing defects or tooth cavities fillings, pulpotomy, crowns, etc.
- Treatment and early assessment for improper biting correction, teeth straightening
Pediatric Dentistry deals with oral health of children. It is very essential to maintain proper oral hygiene in children, if ignored can lead to dental conditions and problems in the later years. It is very important to teach your children to maintain proper oral health by brushing teeth and to avoid foods rich in sugars (sticky carbohydrates). They need to visit the dental clinic for routine checkups at least once in 6 months. Dental diseases can be controlled better if they are detected early.
One of the major aims of pediatric dentistry is prevention of tooth decay. Pediatric dentistry places more emphasis on the relationship between the dentist and patient. That is to understand the child’s psychology to treat them.
Pit And Fissure Sealants:
Dental Sealants or Tooth sealants are plastic coatings that protect the chewing surfaces of teeth from bacteria and plaque that cause tooth decay.
In Office Applications:
- These are mainly applied to grooves of your back teeth-premolars and molars where the decay occurs frequently.
- The surface is polished, etched and sealant is applied.
- When bonded sealants make the surface smooth hence easy to maintain.
- Application process may take only a few minutes and may remain intact 5-10 years.
- Sealants come in different shades such as white, colored, etc.
Sealants are a preventive filling whereas a dental filling is a treatment carried out after the tooth is damaged because of tooth decay.
Sealants are NOT a replacement for fluoride.
- Fluorides in water is a good topical for teeth. Fluoride is absorbed in our bodies from the water we drink and is incorporated into our saliva. Our saliva with its fluoride hardens the enamel continuously. This process is known as remineralization.
- Children’s diet contains more sugary foods that cause tooth decay. Also it can be expensive to do dental treatment and the teeth will last many years.
- If fluoride is applied correctly and in proper amount it can make teeth healthy.
- Dental application of topical fluoride gel or varnish can help remineralise the white spots on teeth hence inhibit the progression of decay.
In Office Application
- It is applied after scaling and polishing.
- It is recommended to avoid eating for 30 minutes and avoid brushing for 6 hours after application.
Overflouridation if caused due to excess water fluoride content and fluoride pills can cause pitting and discoloration of teeth called Fluorosis.
Conscious Sedation: produces a minimally depressed level of consciousness state in which patient is able to maintain his normal physical activity, verbal activity and breathing continues. This provides a feeling of complete relaxation to the dental patient undergoing treatment. Nitrous oxide is titrated with oxygen for inhalation through a mask. This is given for children who are apprehensive and the treatment less stressful.